Why is Self Care So Important?
We all know how important a healthy diet is to help protect your health and well-being. Another way to be sure we are “falling into health” is to make sure that we are taking care of ourselves in other ways and not always focusing on others to the detriment of our own health. We need to feel whole and healthy in order to be able to take care of others well!
Caring for ourselves is not only about eating the right foods! Our lives need to be balanced physically, emotionally and spiritually, and we need to be spending time focused on each of those areas. For some of us, that time may even need to be scheduled into our daily routine to ensure that it actually happens. Everyone’s interests and needs vary, so this will look different from person to person.
Here are just a few ideas of things to do to help take care of yourself on a daily basis:
- Make sure you are getting enough sleep for YOUR body.
- Take your supplements.
- Perform deep breathing exercises.
- Take time for devotions, reading, prayer, and journaling.
- Take a bath when feeling under the weather or needing to be relaxed.
- Have a spa day, whether at a spa or at home.
- Go outside and get fresh air when stuck indoors for long periods of time. Take a 10-minute walk or bike ride, or longer if you have the time and it makes you happy!
- Learn how to say “no” when you are feeling stretched thin.
- Eat well: taking the time to plan and meal prep will help the week go more smoothly and it will be easier to eat healthfully.
- Set aside time to just “be” with those you love.
For some of us taking time out can be hard to do with all the pressures and responsibilities of life. But always keep in mind that in order to be able to take care of others you need to take care of yourself too. Self care has also been proven to extend your life and keep you healthier! In a 2012 Harvard Study it was shown that mental well-being plays a big role in the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Stress management is also important for a healthy lifestyle so make sure you are always taking a bit of time out for yourself.