Here we are in the middle of summer already! We often ask our clients if they are getting regular exposure to natural sunlight. Yes, too much sun can be harmful. But the keywords here are too much. Many other things that we incorporate into our lives can also fall under this rule – too much of any good thing can become harmful. However, the truth is that we NEED sunlight!
So what are some of the benefits of natural sunlight?
- Absorption of vitamin D! This vitamin is essential to helping your body absorb calcium, which is needed for bone health. It also helps with inflammation, your muscles and immune system, and proper brain function.
- Sunlight can help to regulate blood pressure.
- Direct sunlight promotes better sleep. It causes serotonin to be released and this can help produce more melatonin at night which helps you sleep. Serotonin is also known to improve one’s mood and help ward off depression.
- It may help certain skin conditions like acne and psoriasis.
- The average person benefits from the absorption of natural sunlight for 10-20 minutes a day or when able to get outside. If you are fair, closer to 10 minutes of exposure is safe. This should be done without sunscreen between the hours of 10am and 2pm, with as much skin exposed as possible.
Embrace the Sun!!!
For some non-toxic, safe sunscreen options, please visit our online store!